Arthritis ACT is now offering driver screening services to ACT and NSW residents, performed by our Occupational Therapy Driver Assessor.
What is Driver Screening?
Driver screening is an assessment process for anyone who has a medical condition, disability or injury that may impact on their ability to drive safely. Our qualified and registered Occupational Therapy Driver Assessor will assess a person’s vision, physical and cognitive abilities related to driving.
- advice on driving aids and or vehicle modifications
- liaison with vehicle modification engineers
- rehabilitation program
- reports for doctors and the road transport authority
Off road screening
Off road assessments are performed onsite at an ArthritisACT Office location (Bruce or Pearce). By clinic appointment only. Off road assessments are eligible for Enhanced Primary Care Plan (EPC) Medicare rebate.
On road screening
On road assessments are performed in a vehicle with our occupational therapist and a driving instructor. An Off Road assessment must be done prior to the on road assessment.
No referral needed
To be eligible for an occupational therapy driver assessment you must be:
- over 16 years and 9 months of age
- hold a current valid driver licence or learner permit
- have a completed driver medical assessment form
What to bring to your appointment
- reports about any medical conditions, disabilities or injuries
- completed driver medical form
- support person
- EPC referral if applicable
The results of the driver screening assessment are discussed with you, your support person and your doctor as appropriate.
Reports are sent to:
- Road Transport Authority(Access Canberra)
- Transport for NSW
- General Practitioner or other health professional as required
Off road $200
On road $950
For enquiries or to make a booking- please call 1800 011 041