FACTS ABOUT ARTHRITIS
- There are over 150 different forms of arthritis Arthritis and related musculoskeletal conditions affect one in three people in Australia;
- Nearly 60% of people with arthritis are under the age of 65; Arthritis affects one child in 250 some of whom are babies under 12 months;
- 10% of people aged 20 have symptoms of osteoarthritis, often as a result of poor sports injury management;
- By the age of 35, arthritis and related conditions are the most common of all chronic conditions;
- By the age of 45 they are the second most frequent cause of disability;
- Come the age of 70, 45% of the population has some form of arthritis; and
- Musculoskeletal disease is the greatest single cause of disability in Australia today.
My Joint Pain – Help for Those with Joint Pain
Arthritis Australia in partnership with Bupa Health Foundation has developed a new interactive website – MyJointPain.org.au – to help those with joint pain or osteoarthritis better manage their symptoms. It provides information and advice from experts as well as links to healthcare providers in your local area who can assist with care. The site provides effective, evidence based management information and can help you choose the treatment options best for you. To access the website, click on this link MyJointPain.org.au.
Joint Replacement – Who To See And What To Find Out
If you think that joint replacement might be an option for you, talk to your GP who can refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon. Read more…